Do you often forget to add experts and case studies to your little black freelance book? Find it all too time-consuming to track down experts you interviewed for future stories? The source tracker is the solution. Use it to enter in experts and case studies as you file stories, and to search for the source you need next time you’re writing on that topic.
Here’s how it works:
- As soon as you finish a story, open your experts file and enter in name of the source, title, contact details, specialties and any notes about the story (great for when you have to reconnect with that source)
- Hit save and forget all about that source until the next time you’re writing about… say, bog snorkelling
- Open up the source tracker and search by specialty (you might want to enter in ‘extreme sports’ or ‘snorkelling’)
- Watch all the bog snorkelling experts you’ve ever talked to pop into the top search area with their details.
- Ring or email the person you want to talk to. The end!
Like a mini CRM but easier (and cheaper), the source tracker will save you an enormous amount of time.