We’re Australia’s leading freelance jobs board for media, digital, PR and comms. Sign up now! >>

Show Me The Money Survey 2014… the results!

by Rachel Smith
03 December 2014

Normally we’d be bringing you an Ask Us Wednesday post, but today we’re flipping it and revealing answers to the questions we asked YOU via our annual survey. We had a lot more people respond and a lot of data to go through, so the infographic is bigger than last year, but we hope you find it interesting and, dare we say, enlightening! More to come on the blog in the coming weeks.

Show Me The Money 2014... the results

Rachel Smith
Find us!

Rachel Smith

As a kid, Rachel used to carry around a little suitcase of pens and paper so she could stop and write stories whenever inspiration struck. These days, she writes for a living, in between running the show at Rachel's List. Some of you may actually believe she looks like a megaphone in real life, but it's not the case. Honest.
Rachel Smith
Find us!

10 responses on "Show Me The Money Survey 2014… the results!"

  1. Keren Lavelle says:

    Hi there,
    Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing. How many respondents were there? And when you write, for eg”Social media writers 26% are paid $25-50 an hour” – was that, for eg, the largest single category? It prompts the question of what the other 74% are paid.

    1. Rachel Smith says:

      We would’ve loved to include all the data in the infographic but there was so much of it, we had to be discerning. So yep, the 26% correlates to the largest number of people who said they were paid that rate ($25-50). The next largest stat was 21% who earned $50-75 per hour, followed by 12% who earned $75-100/hour.

  2. Nina Hendy says:

    Hi Rachel,
    Great survey, really interesting.
    However I recall you asking annual earnings in the survey, will those results be published in % terms? Nina

    1. Rachel Smith says:

      You’re right Nina, we did ask this question but the data was inconclusive. There were too many variables, ie, people who were freelancing part-time, people who fitted in work around parenting obligations etc, so rather than mislead people we opted not to include the stats in the survey results. Obviously next year we’ll aim to quantify this more accurately with more tailored questions.

  3. Tim Gill says:

    Cool infographic action!

    1. Rachel Smith says:

      Why thank you Mr Gill 🙂

  4. Thanks for this, really fantastic insight.

    1. Rachel Smith says:

      Pleasure, glad you found it interesting!

  5. Lee Mylne says:

    Thanks for sharing – I took part in the survey and found the results really interesting. But I’m also with Keren Lavelle on this – do you mind sharing the total number of respondents to the survey? Because without that number, it’s a bit meaningless to say that 40% (or whatever) were paid X-amount if we don’t know how many people were surveyed.

    1. Rachel Smith says:

      Thanks for your feedback Lee.
      All up we had 423 people take the time to answer the 2014 survey and help us provide this snapshot of the industry. That was 123 more fabulous members than last year who took the time to offer a valuable insight into our cross-section of freelancers and full-timers.
      Given it’s difficult at best to get anyone to answer surveys, (and ours was a particularly long one!), Leo and I really appreciated that not only were members prepared to give us their time but they trusted us enough to reveal their most intimate financial details too.
      Thank you for being one of those who stood up to be counted,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *